Friday, February 15, 2013

Public Speaking Tip 7: Forget About Words

Post image for Public Speaking Tip 7: Forget About Words

Don?t get me wrong, I love words! But if you want to become a strong public speaker, try to put them out of your mind.

What????you may be wondering.?Isn?t public speaking?all?about words?

Not at all ? and here?s the reason why:

Public Speaking Is About Meaning,?Not Phrasing

Which of these three sentences do you find most ?effective? (in the sense that it grabs and holds your attention, and makes you think)?

  • For many, the economy is recovering too slowly.
  • Our economic recovery is too slow for many people.
  • The recovery? For many people, it?s too slow.

If you just scratched your head, you?re right: There is no functional difference between these sentences. Each is equally ?effective.??Maybe I?ll persuade you that the recovery is too slow, and maybe I won?t; but it won?t be because of the phrase I used.

Public Speaking Is About?Meaning,?Not Word Choice

pile of words (10676885)How about these three choices?

  • I?m happy?to be here with you today.
  • I?m thrilled to be here with you today.
  • I?m delighted to be here with you today.

These three sentences also illustrate ?a difference without a distinction.? Does it really matter if I say ?happy,? ?thrilled,? or ?delighted??

Of course not!?What matters is that I mean what I?m saying ? whichever word I choose ? and that my audience knows it?s true.

Since Words Don?t Matter, Don?t Worry About Them

In one of those cruel ironies that fate seems to love, the more people fear public speaking, the more likely they are to fixate on trying to use?the ?right? word, a ?good? word, or the ?best? word.

Whether your audience is 1 person or 100, there are better things to think about than word choice! For example:

  • Am I relaxed, and feeling connected to myself and my listeners?
  • Do they seem to understand what I?m saying?
  • Would it help them if I added more detail, or less? Went faster, or slower?
  • Is my energy holding high? Do I need to call up the reserves?

Of course, in addition to these considerations, you?ll also be thinking about?what you?re saying,?and?what you?re going to say next.

But don?t think about the words?you?re going to say next. Think about your next idea.

Exceptions to the ?Words Don?t Matter? Rule

Like every rule, this one has exceptions. There?are?times and places where individual words matter, and the ones that come easily to my mind are:

  • Professional settings: Here, you want to use the correct ?terms of art? (don?t say?exfoliate?if you mean?defoliate)
  • Tense or diplomatic situation: When tempers are running high, it?s useful to chose your words with care (?Let me respond to that??is a better lead than??You really?are an idiot!?)
  • If time is short, or the occasion is momentous: In these situations, you may want to script yourself to be sure that every word counts (that?s why people memorize their TEDx talks, or use a TelePrompter for official speeches).

But for the everyday types of public speaking that most of us do ? pitches, presentations, speaking up in meetings, networking, etc. ? acute word awareness is a hindrance to good public speaking, not a help.

Putting This Tip Into Action

So, as you continue to develop public speaking skills, remember:

  • Practice speaking your?ideas. Don?t practice saying words.
  • If you use a word you don?t like while practicing, don?t stop and correct yourself. Keep going.
  • If you use a word you don?t like while presenting, try not to freak out. Keep going.
  • Stay focused on your listeners, and whether they seem to understand what you?re saying. Remember Jezra?s Law:

If you?re talking and they?re listening? you?re probably doing it right!

***

The illustration above is from Jasper Fford?s wonderful?Thursday Next, Literary Detective?series (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, etc.)

***

Source: http://speakupforsuccess.com/6564/public-speaking-tip-7-forget-words/

Oscar Pistorius George Ferris Carnival Triumph Safe Haven Meteor Russia Robbie Rogers rubio

No comments:

Post a Comment